4th Feb 2017
- Always bow (rei) on entering and exiting the dojo training hall.
- Always bow to Sensei and Sempai on first seeing them and when departing.
- Always bow when joining or leaving class.
- Shoes should not normally be worn in the dojo training area.
- Be punctual for class.
- Refer to instructors as "Sensei", black belts as "Sempai", inside and outside the dojo. First names are only used outside the dojo if the instructor has indicated that formalities have dropped.
- It is normally the responsibility of the lower ranks to make sure the dojo is fit to train in, e.g. tidy, clean floor.
- Use of "oos" shows respect and that you have understood what your Sensei has asked of you or has corrected you on.
- Show good hygiene by keeping your finger and toe nails clean and trimmed.
- Wear correct uniform.
- For safety do not wear jewellery or watches during trainings.
- Stand in rank, higher belts in front and to the left of you.
- Walk behind higher belts when moving between rows.
- Wait for command before doing something.
- Show courtesy and respect for others inside and outside the dojo.
- If asked by the Sensei to move from one area to another the rule is, if more than two steps..."run quickly quickly".
- Be attentive and alert, no fooling around during class.
- Do not leave class without permission.
- Refrain from disrespect, by turning to the back when adjusting your gi/belt, sneezing, coughing, etc.
- Notify the instructor if you are going to be away for a period of time.
- Always try your best to show strong spirit and enthusiasm.
- Remember that you will get out of karate what you put into it!
"Karate-do begins with courtesy and ends with rei" - Gichin Funakoshi